Grid connection and distribution panel
The electric supply of a planned building should be discussed as soon as possible with the power company. The responsible electrician will fill out the necessary forms for your house connection and electric meter and send it to the power company. The power company then installs the meter.
Type of grid connection
- For overhead distribution lines, the connection point (service entrance) is normally a roof-mounted post.
- For underground cable distribution, the connection point is a cable connection box.
- Grid connection point and associated fuses and circuit breakers must be easily accessible.
- Rooms that are fire hazards (garage, furnace room, etc.) are not permissible.
Service connection room
- For larger facilities, a service connection room is recommended that provides all services (electricity, TV, telecom).
- This is not required for single-family homes or duplexes.
- The distribution panel should be central location that is easily and always accessible.
- Living space, bedrooms, baths, storage rooms and garages are not suitable.
- Vestibules are suited for the distribution panel.
- On initial planning and installation, allow generous extensibility.
- For single-family homes and duplexes the electric meter is also located in the distribution panel.
- Ensure clear, understandable and up-to-date labeling to assure safe and comfortable operation of the circuit breakers.
- Repairs and modifications must be done by an electrician.
Repairs and modifications of distribution panel only by electric professionals.